Monday, April 06, 2015

Failure Of National Badminton Squad Not A Huge Shock - Khairy

KUALA LUMPUR, April 4 (Bernama) -- Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin regards the failure of the national shuttlers to advance to the semifinal of the 2015 Malaysian Badminton Open Championship as not a huge shock but had been expected since the beginning.

According to Khairy, the absence of Malaysian ace Datuk Lee Chong Wei clearly impacted greatly on the national camp.

"We must be patient and regard this as a transition. Actually, we have known this since two to three years ago that this will happen, no players can replace Chong Wei, this is not a shock," he told reporters after attending the " Gathering of Youths to Tackle Extremism" here Saturday.

The capability of the national players in the men's singles event was clearly most disappointing for local fans when for the first time in the history of the organistion of the Malaysian Open, no men's singles player from the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) qualified for the main draw.

This was followed by the men's doubles who were booted out in the third round, before Malaysia's sole representatives in the women's doubles Vivian Hoo Kah Mun and Woon Khe Wei, completed Malaysia's gloom, after losing in the quarter-finals yesterday.

Nonetheless, Khairy urged fans not to overreact at the failure because he believed new BAM technical director Morten Frost was bringing about positive changes.

Commenting on the resignation of national badminton coaches Rashid Sidek and Rosman Razak who joined a private club, he said he respected their decision and that in fact Rashid and Rosman conveyed their plans to him through National Sports Council director-general, Datuk Ahmad Shapawi Ismail.

Khairy added that although Rashid and Rosman would not be with BAM, they were still capable of contributing to the country as they would be guiding a club where the likes of former national player Arif Latif were playing.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment