Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Chong Wei: Please pray for me


Off to London to prepare for my hearing. 希望一切顺利..
Posted by Lee Chong Wei 李宗伟 on Monday, April 6, 2015


KUALA LUMPUR: Please pray for me. This is the earnest plea by Lee Chong Wei as he leaves for the hearing of his doping case.

The 32-year-old leaves for London on Tuesday to meet up with lawyer Mike Morgan to fine-tune some matters on his case before heading to Amsterdam on Friday.

Chong Wei’s hearing with the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) three-member independent panel will take place at an undisclosed place in Amsterdam on Saturday. A slot from 10am-6pm (Malaysian time) has been set aside for him.

“This is it ... I am leaving Malaysia and I hope to return home with some good news,” said Chong Wei, who will be accompanied by BAM general manager Kenny Goh.

“It has been seven months since I was first informed of the doping offence (on Oct 3). I am quite anxious.

“Please pray for me and wish me well. All I want is to clear my name and return to the badminton court as quickly as possible.”

Chong Wei, then the world No.1, failed a doping test during the semi-finals of the World Championships in Copenhagen last August. He was tested positive for the banned substance dexamethasone and was provisionally suspended by the BWF on Nov 11.

The two-time Olympic silver medallist said he was going early to London to go over his case with UK-based Morgan.

“We have been in constant contact via online. Now I am going to meet up with Mike to go through everything once more before the hearing. I am sure that I will get the best defence,” he said.

Chong Wei hopes that he will be cleared so that he can play in the Sudirman Cup in Dongguan, China, from May 10-17.

Due to his long absence, Chong Wei’s world ranking has dropped to No. 16. The 2016 Olympic qualifying period starts on May 1 and Chong Wei does not want to be left behind.


The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment