Tuesday, March 17, 2015

First up for Frost, better perks for coaches

BAM technical director Morten Frost (left) having a word with singles coach Tey Seu Bock (centre) and BAM general manager Kenny Goh on Frost's first day at work two weeks ago. - Filepic
BAM technical director Morten Frost (left) having a word with singles coach Tey Seu Bock (centre) and BAM general manager Kenny Goh on Frost's first day at work two weeks ago. - Filepic


KUALA LUMPUR: Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM)’s technical director Morten Frost is raring to defrost the icy chasm Malaysian badminton has fallen into.

The icing on the cake, for starters, is better perks for the most important ingredient in lifting the standard of the game in the country – the coaches.

Frost has drawn up his coaching and training structure and is waiting for approval from the BAM’s exco meeting, on a date to be fixed soon.

Once Frost gets the green light, the plans that will be immediately executed are better perks for coaches, recruitment of new coaches and greater emphasis on Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS).
Frost said that he had asked for an increase in the amount of salary for all the coaches – both at the elite and BJSS level.

“Basically, I have been given a free hand to do what I believe is best for Malaysian badminton but there is one thing that I have no control – the budget,” said Frost.

“I have all my plans ready but I need the budget to be approved before I can make all the changes. It is the right process to follow.

“I have the budget for tournaments, coaches and players. I may or may not get what I have asked for. I am confident though, it will come through.
“For now, I have asked for an increase of budget for all coaches.”

He also has plans to bring in new people into his coaching and training set-up, including a new local coach in the senior team.

Currently, the coaches at elite level are Rashid Sidek, Tey Seu Bock, Hendrawan, He Guo Quan, Jeremy Gan, Tan Kim Her, Pang Cheh Chang, Rosman Razak, Chin Eei Hui, Wong Pei Tty and Wong Tat Meng.

“I prefer to have local coaches in my new team. We can use the present coaches and move them to another level and standard of coaching,” said Frost, who did not reveal the new man for the job.
His other plan is to increase the number of coaches at the sport school.

“Sports in the school is very important because that is the foundation. If the foundation is weak, the elite coaches will have difficulties to form a solid team.”



 by Rajes Paul - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment