Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Ex-BAM players could be the ‘doubles’ solution

KUALA LUMPUR: Former internationals Mak Hee Chun-Tan Bin Shen are set to ease Malaysia’s woes in the men’s doubles department.

There is a shortage of quality players in the national team following the decision of two senior players - Hoon Thien How and Lim Khim Wah - to quit last week.

Based on Hee Chun-Bin Shen’s current form, the pair may be the perfect replacement as the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) get down to form a solid team for two major tournaments - the Sudirman Cup in China in May and Singapore SEA Games in June.

The duo have been invited to attend the BAM trials. The BAM have yet to announce the dates for the trials.

With either Hee Chun or Bin Shen in the team, Malaysia will be able to mount a reasonably strong assault in the two tournaments.

After all, Hee Chun-Bin Shen did well to emerge as national champions in December. They also played key roles for Muar BC in the Kopiko Purple League. They helped Muar BC become inaugural champions on Feb 1 and runners-up in the league’s Champions Challenge on Sunday. 
If Hee Chun makes the cut, he could be reunited with his former world junior partner Teo Kok Siang. Together, the duo had lifted the world junior title in 2008.

Hee Chun could also be paired with Tan Boon Heong.
The 25-year-old Hee Chun said he would love to don national colours again.
“I will give my best during the trials. It has been some time since I represented Malaysia in a major tournament,” said Hee Chun, whose last national assignment was at the 2011 SEA Games in Indonesia.

“I left the BAM after the SEA Games. Since then, I have been playing independently with different partners. Somehow I have managed to keep my career afloat. If the BAM call me up, I will surely give it a go again.

“I have played with Kok Siang before but I have not been paired with Boon Heong. With more practice, I can play with anyone,” said Hee Chun.

Hee Chun added that he was happy that the Kopiko Purple League had given the non-BAM players a platform to stay on their toes.

“It has been a great two months for me. The league kept us going and helped us to sustain our form,” said Hee Chun.


by Rajes Paul - THE STAR

1 comment:

  1. Now, it's a hard time for Malaysia Badminton's family. However, I think with this new family members, we can see a hope in Badminton's scenario.

    ReplyDelete