Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Let me help: Ex-badminton chief coach Kim Hock - The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Former international Yap Kim Hock is willing to come back to help Malaysian badminton even with a smaller paycheque.

“I don’t mind about the salary. I am more concerned of where our badminton is heading,” said Kim Hock, who was the national chief coach from 2004-2008.

He added that he was surprised that the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) had not kick started their programme this year.

“As a former player and chief coach, I am saddened with what is happening with the sport in the country. Why didn’t the BAM settle the coaches’ contracts last year?

“There shouldn’t have been a delay. When I was the coach, we finalised all the coaches’ contracts and programme for the year in December. This is the first time that we are pushing it until March.
“It’s the Olympic qualifying year and I do hope all the issues will be resolved soon. Any delay will reduce our chances of having a bigger representation at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

“We need to keep the players and coaches motivated. Without them, we will not be able to win honours for the country like we used to do,” added the 44-year-old Kim Hock, who won a silver with Cheah Soon Kit at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic.

Kim Hock said he was willing to lend a helping hand to the BAM in whatever capacity.

“I offered my services last year. I attended an interview with the BAM, but they did not get back to me,” added Kim Hock, who is now the owner of Klang United BC.

On Monday, Kim Hock and his team received a big boost when they signed a sponsorship deal with insurance company NPG Agency Sdn Bhd for their participation in the Kopiko Purple League.




by Rajes Paul The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment