Thursday, November 27, 2014

MNCF accounts under investigation

SPORTS Commissioner Ahmad Shapawi Ismail wants all documents in place before acting on the Malaysian National Cycling Federation’s (MNCF) failure to settle prizemoney owed to teams that competed in the 19th edition of Le Tour de Langkawi (LTdL) on Feb 27-March 7.

  Investigations into the matter began yesterday with Shapawi requesting all supporting documents regarding payments made via the National Sports Council (NSC) and the sports commissioner said what transpired can be clarified when he checks the MNCF’s statement of accounts.

  “I have been instructed by the sports minister to investigate this matter. But before we can see what action we have to take, I will need all the details. It will only be clear when I’ve seen all those documents,” said Shapawi.

“We have to look at how much was deposited into the MNCF’s accounts and the statements will show where the money went.”

  Just as it served out its one-month suspension on Monday, the MNCF came under fire again after it was revealed teams that competed in the LTdL have not been paid their prizemoney, while prizemoney owed to winners from the 2013 Jelajah Malaysia is also yet to be paid out.

  But in the case of the Jelajah Malaysia, the prizemoney had been held up after the ministry suspended the MNCF’s funding following an audit and investigation into the federation’s accounts that found various offences in January.

The LTdL prizemoney, however, was deposited into the MNCF’s accounts a month before the start of the race, as required.

  Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin announced on Monday the government could provide a bailout fund to settle the prizemoney owed by MNCF, but instructed Shapawi to investigate the matter.
  MNCF is already facing possible deregistration should it fail to meet conditions set by the Sports Commissioner’s Office in its reply handed to Shapawi on Monday following its suspension.  



By Arnaz M Khairul - NST

No comments:

Post a Comment