Friday, August 29, 2014

Thien How-Wee Kiong stay cool to make quarters

Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong survived a close call against Japan's Takeshi Kamura-Keigo Sonoda to make the quarter-finals - Bernama
Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong survived a close call against Japan's Takeshi Kamura-Keigo Sonoda to make the quarter-finals - Bernama

COPENHAGEN: Malaysia’s Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong lived up to their seeding to reach the quarter-finals of the men’s doubles in the World Championships at Bellarup Super Arena.

On Thursday, seventh seeds Thien How-Wee Kiong fought valiantly to beat Japan’s Takeshi Kamura-Keigo Sonoda 19-21, 21-17, 21-19 in a 63-minute match that was marred with poor line calls.

They will take on South Koreans Ko Sung-hyun-Shin Baek-cheol for a place in the semi-finals.
Both were engaged in fierce mid-court exchanges and clever winning jabs to stay hot on the heels of one another.

The Japanese did just enough to take the fast-paced opener but the Malaysians fought back to take the second amidst several pool line calls.

The boiling point happened when the Malaysians were leading 19-17 in the decider. A shot by the Japanese was called in and Thien How reacted by throwing his racquet in anger.

“It was clearly out and I got mad. It was for the third time that the linesmen had erred. Fortunately, I stayed cool to finish the job,” said Thien How.

Wee Kiong was just happy that they stayed positive throughout the match to make it to the quarter-finals.

“Our combination worked better today. We were able to cover for one another and supported one another,” said Wee Kiong.

“Our job is far from over and we will be ready to play even better against the Koreans. I need to cut down on my mistakes though,” added Wee Kiong, who served to the net several times.

Veterans Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong failed to make it a double joy when they went down fighting 21-14, 10-21, 19-21 to Lee Sheng-mu-Tsai Chia-hsin of Taiwan.

“We were trailing 9-12 in the decider but did well to close the gap. Unfortunately, in my eagerness to win, I misjudged some shots. It is unfortunate that I could not end my last stint with Koo on a winning note,” said Boon Heong.

Meanwhile, in the men’s singles, world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei kept the national flag flying high with another fantastic display of agility and strength to beat Scott Evans of Ireland 21-11, 21-12.

He will take on China’s former world junior champion Wang Zhengming, whom he had beaten 11 times.

“It is great to enter the quarter-finals. The real test begins for me,” said the two-time World Championships runners-up.

Meanwhile, there were several major upsets in the third round of the women’s events.

Japan’s Minatsu Mitani stunned defending champion Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand 8-21, 21-12, 21-18 in the women’s singles while home favourite and second seeds Christinna Pedersen-Kamilla Rytter Juhl suffered a demoralising 15-21, 19-21 defeat to Indonesia’s Nitya Krishinda Maheswari-Greysia Polii.

In the mixed doubles, China’s Cheng Liu-Bao Yixin, seeded 14th, dumped fourth seeds and reigning Commonwealth Games champions Chris Adcock-Gabrielle Adcock of England with a sensational 21-15, 21-19 win.

by Rajes Paul - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment