Simon was not the only last-minute withdrawal as the Badminton Association of Indonesian (PBSI) also announced the withdrawal of men’s doubles champions Mohd Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan.
PBSI international relations manager Bambang Rudy Roedyanto said the world No. 1 pair were forced to pull out after Ahsan’s back injury got worse.
“It’s a disaster for us – what can I say. We are leaving on Thursday morning and we have no choice (but to withdraw them). They cannot play,” Bambang told the Badminton World Federation (BWF) website.
Earlier in June, Indonesia’s defending mixed doubles champions Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir had to withdraw from the championships following Tontowi’s ankle injury.