Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Jing Yi shines but team fails

TEE Jing Yi earned a breakthrough by overcoming a top 15 player for the first time since returning to the national team last December but it was not enough to spur the others to make an impact in the Uber Cup yesterday.

Malaysia suffered their second straight defeat in the competition, losing 4-1 to former champions Japan in a Group Z tie at Siri Fort Arena in New Delhi. The defeat meant Malaysia failed to achieve their quarter-final target with Germany to play today.

World No 50 Jing Yi recovered from 17-20 down in the first game to beat World No 13 Sayaka Takahashi 22-20, 21-19 in 37 minutes. However, her teammates failed to make it count, losing the following matches tamely.

"I was the underdog today so I had nothing to lose. I was down 17-20 in the first game but earned five straight points to close the game. I kept attacking the second game to claim Malaysia's first point," said Jing Yi yesterday.

"I feel I'm playing well and to beat a top 15 player is a good achievement. Hopefully I can record my third straight win against Germany tomorrow. However, I am disappointed that we are already out of the running for a quarter-final spot.

Denmark, who thrashed Germany 5-0, and Japan will face off on the same day with the winners topping the group.

Tee Jing Yi celebrates after beating Japan’s Sayaka Takahashi at the Siri Fort Arena in New Delhi yesterday. Pic by Goh Thean Howe

Read more: Jing Yi shines but team fails - Badminton - New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment