Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Fatehah on right track

SEA GP: She wins 200m sprint

 FATEHAH Mustapa geared up for the Asian Championships by winning the 200m sprint in Round Two of the Southeast Asian GP Series at Kuala Lumpur Velodrome yesterday.
The 25-year-old beat France's Virginie Cueff for the first time in the solitary heat in the 200m sprint final, as rain cancelled the remaining heats.

After trailing Virginie in both heats in the 200m sprint final (the first round of the series on Sunday), Fatehah made some tactical adjustments yesterday that turned the outcome.
"The coach (John Beasley) told me to try a different tactic, as it was clear that Virginie was much faster and stronger than me. We saw that in the first round, where she finished way ahead and I was no match for her," said Fatehah.

"This time I tried a tactic where I stayed higher up the embankment when she was in front and stuck close to her to make her sprint earlier.
"Although I just managed to pip her to victory on the line, I am happy to have managed that.
"My tactics worked and I managed to win one heat against her for the first time. It is also a confidence booster as I learned how I can beat a faster rider using the right tactics."

Fatehah will be aiming to regain the Asian Championships keirin gold medal in Kazakhstan on May 26-June 4, where she will also compete in the 200m sprint and 500m time trial.
Edrus Yunos maintained his 100 per cent record by repeating his 200m sprint victory in Round One after beating France's Quentin Lafarge in the final.

The women's points race saw another Asian Championships aspirant, Jupha Somnet, having to settle for the silver medal with 33 points, conceding defeat to France's Laurie Berthon, who scored 61 points.

South Africa's Maroesjka Matthee took the bronze medal with 26 points.
Rain again spoiled the afternoon session and several events had to be postponed, and will be held tomorrow morning. Round Three of the series will be held over the weekend.

Fatehah Mustapa (left) beat Virginie Cueff for the first time in the solitary heat in the 200m sprint final in Round Two of the Southeast Asian GP Series at Kuala Lumpur Velodrome yesterday. Pic by Osman Adnan

By ARNAZ M. KHAIRUL | arnaz@nst.com.my  Read more: CYCLING: Fatehah on right track - Racing - New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment