Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team Claims 1-2 Spots At Malaysian Grand Prix


Lewis Hamilton (centre), Nico Rosberg (left) of Petronas team
SEPANG, March 30 (Bernama) -- Lewis Hamilton from England and Nico Rosberg from Germany made it a grand 1-2 finish for Petronas in the Petronas Malaysian F1 Grand Prix when the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula 1 Team drivers swept aside the rest to fill the podium at the Sepang Circuit, here Sunday.

Hamilton who claimed his 23rd career win, clocked one hour 40 minutes and 25.974 seconds to claim his first Malaysian GP title after starting on pole.

"Incredibly happy.. my first time winning the Malaysian GP. It is my eighth year here and finally got that win. I really owe it all to the team. On our home-ground, it is quite special when you get one-two.

"After such a difficult weekend, we have a great crowd here. Petronas, who worked so hard with Mercedes to give us the win, I just feel so grateful, particularly after such tragedy as the MH370 three weeks ago. I'd really like to dedicate this win to the people and their families," he said.

Hamilton admitted that he faced a great challenge in Sepang Circuit though the weather was not as hot a few years ago.

His team-mate, Germany's Nico Rosberg who had won the Australian Grand Prix, two weeks ago, settled for second position after clocking one hour 40 minutes and 43.287s.

Rosberg said he had a great start that allowed him to go into second position.

"I was happy about having a good start because it is not so easy this year. The rear tyres are harder and we have more torque. So it is very difficult.

"Turn three I got a bit sideways, saw plenty of action there but it worked out well and from then I was trying to chase Hamilton but he was a bit too quick today," he said.

Meanwhile, three time winner of the Malaysian GP, Infiniti Red Bull Racing team's German driver Sebastian Vettel settled for third position after clocking one hour 40 minutes and 50.508s.

Vettel said he had a tight race and surprised when he saw Rosberg on his right at the start.

"I thought I had a good start but then I focused on getting in the tow of Hamilton to maybe attack him going into the first corner. Then Rosberg was there on the right.

"My team-mate, Daniel Ricciardo was coming as well as I was trying to get Rosberg. So I dropped a place but fortunately I got it back and then later on I was trying to get as close as I could to Rosberg," he said.

--BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment