Friday, April 18, 2014

Leong, Nicholas And Kheng Hwai Lead Local Charge At Malaysian Open

KUALA LUMPUR, April 17 (Bernama) -- Three local professionals - Ben Leong, Nicholas Fung and Khor Kheng Wai - carded identical even par 72 scores in the first round of a lightning disrupted 2014 Maybank Malaysian Open to stay seven strokes off the pace at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club, here today.

"I haven't been in this kind of environment for quite a while, so I am very happy and pleased. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's round," said Leong, who was down with injury for some time and started playing golf only in December.

"To be honest, I'm pretty nervous at the start. It wasn't easy. I think that I need a few more round to get use with the competition. I can't say that I've improved 100 per cent but it is good enough for me. I have to improve on many things and I have to sharpen my game."

The Sabahan would have scored a one-under 71 today but bogeyed the 18th hole when he needed only a par.

Professional Golf of Malaysia (PGM) Tour regular, Khor Kheng Wai was happy with his performance when he shot an eagle in the opening round.

"It was a great start. I had a lucky bounce on the fifth hole to make eagle. I still tried to make birdies after that but I was unlucky with some putts. It felt good to be playing well because I haven't been playing well in the last few weeks.

"I was riding on some confidence after shooting three-under early in the round so hopefully I can stick to the same game plan tomorrow," he said adding that he had improved his game with the help of his new coach, Ng Shern Wei.

"He has been helping me a lot. We've been working on my swing to get more consistent shots which cut down a lot of problems for me," he said.

Nicholas Fung meanwhile, carded four birdies but added four bogeys to break even and end with a 72.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment