Thursday, March 06, 2014

So Near Yet So Far For TSG Rider Mohd Harrif


PEKAN, March 5 (Bernama) -- Terengganu Cycling Team (TSG) rider Mohd Hariff Salleh's 'soft approach' cost him a podium finish in Stage 7, the longest stage of the Le Tour de Langkawi (LTdL), here Wednesday.

Mohd Harrif claimed that his rhythm was offset by a rider from Team MTN Qhubeka while trailing Dutch rider Theo Bos from Belkin-Pro Cycling Team, the eventual winner of Stage 7, at the closing stages of the race.

"I was behind Theo Bos but a rider from MTN Qhubeka cut across and blocked my path, thus denying me space to accelerate. Since I was tucked behind him and in a bunch, I could not mount a serious challenge towards the finishing line," said Hariff who finished in 12th spot with a time of 5 hours 33 minutes and 12 seconds.

Stage 7, the longest stage in the 2014 LTdL with a distance of 230.1km from Kota Tinggi to Pekan, was won by Theo Bos with a time of 5 hours 33 minutes 12 seconds, despite clocking the same time as Hariff.

"I am very disappointed because I was right behind Theo Bos at the final stage but because another rider blocked my path, I could not sprint to the finish.

"I was also a little confused with the finish line which I thought would have been the same as the Jelajah Malaysia route," he said.

After Stage 7 today, TSG are in 18th spot in the general classification and fifth in the Asian category while the National team are in 15th spot in the general classification and fourth in the Asian category.

Team MTN Qhubeka lead the general classification while Tabriz Petrochemical Team from Iran head the Asian category.

From Zuriati Zulmi -- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment