Friday, February 07, 2014

FAM awards abandoned match to JDT, investigations into tunnel fracas ongoing

T-Team officials leaving the meeting.
T-Team officials leaving the meeting.

PETALING JAYA: The Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) on Thursday penalised T-Team and awarded Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) a 3-0 win in the abandoned FA Cup second round match.
The match, played on Saturday, was abandoned after the Terengganu club side staged a walk-out at half-time (with JDT leading 2-1) because of a bust-up at the Larkin Stadium tunnel. They cited “security reasons” as their reason for refusing to return to the pitch.

The FAM competitions committee, which met on Thursday, said they had taken into consideration all aspects before making the decision.

“We have gone through the reports of the match commissioner, venue co-ordinator and match officials. We found that the match was playable,” said committee chairman Datuk Affendy Hamzah.
The committee took more than four hours to come to a decision yesterday at the Wisma FAM in Kelana Jaya here.

However, FAM has said that it will soon begin investigations into the incident which is now being termed the “tunnel fiasco”.

“We will gather all information and reports before the disciplinary committee to pursue the case,” said AM secretary general Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin.

Hamidin said that T-Team was penalised for breaching the competition rules code 4.12.15B for “withdrawing from the match”.

JDT will now progress to the quarter-finals and play Kedah in the first-leg match scheduled at the Larkin Stadium on Feb 11.

In KUALA TERENGGANU, the Terengganu FA (TFA) has expressed disappointment over the FA of Malaysia’s (FAM) decision.

In a brief statement, TFA president Datuk Wan Ahmad Nizam Wan Abdul Hamid said: “We are disappointed with the decision, however, we expected that it would not be favourable to us.
“The management of T-Team and the association will meet up soon to discuss our next course of action. We are aware that the decision cannot be overturned.”

T-Team had claimed that JDT’s officials assaulted its players and a coach in the Larkin Stadium tunnel at half-time.

The players – Evaldo Goncalves and Fabio Flor de Azevado – and fitness coach Stefano Impagliazzo along with T-Team chief operating officer Mohd Syahrizan Mohd Zain have lodged police reports over the incident.

JDT coach Cesar Jimenez also lodged a police report claiming he was assaulted by Goncalves and Impagliazzo.


No comments:

Post a Comment