Thursday, January 09, 2014

Christina's double target

DOUBLE Sea Games breaststroke gold medallist Christina Loh has set her sights on qualifying for the finals of her events in the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow (July 23-Aug 3) and the Incheon Asian Games (Sept 19-Oct 4) this year.

Christina, 19, took over the mantle as the new breaststroke queen of the region from the now retired Siow Yi Ting by winning the 100m and 200m with personal bests in the Myanmar Sea Games last month.

Incheon will be her second Asian Games after making her debut in Guangzhou four years ago where she qualified for the 50m, 100m and 200m events as well as the 4x100m medley but failed to make the final in any of them.

Although Christina conceded that winning a medal in either the Asian Games or Commonwealth Games will be tough, she believes reaching the finals is possible.

Christina is looking forward to making the final cut for the 50m and 100m as she is not too keen on the longer distance which she claims is her weakest event.

"I don't consider myself a medal contender in the Asian Games or Commonwealth Games where the standard is very high but I want to qualify for the finals," said Christina.

"The Sea Games has given me the confidence and I have raised the bar myself. This is where I want to improve on my personal bests and also have a crack at the 100m (national) record of Yi Ting.
"This will be my first time competing in the Commonwealth Games but I have competed in the Asian Games before and I am looking forward to the finals.

"Next year's Sea Games in Singapore is the next goal where the 50m breastroke will be reinstated and I will be aiming to give my best to winning three gold."

Christina registered 1:10.55s in the 100m breatstroke in Myanmar, still well outside Yi Ting's 1:09.82s but she has a chance of making the final of the event if she can break the national record at the Commonwealth Games or Asian Games.

Christina was among several Sea Games gold medallists invited to the fifth annual Roasters Eating Day (RED) at Kenny Rogers Roasters at Mid Valley Megamall yesterday.

RED is held annually on the second Wednesday of the year where any Malaysian clad in red is able to enjoy two meals for the price of one in KRR's 80 restaurants nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment