Monday, January 20, 2014

Chong Wei May Hang Up Racquet By End Of December


KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 19 (Bernama) -- World number one Datuk Lee Chong Wei may hang up his badminton racquet at the end of this year, if his performance is not at its best.

The national badminton champion said fatigue and personal problems were the main reasons prompting him to voice his intention to retire this year.

"I will have to retire when the time comes. I hope Liew Daren and Chong Wei Feng (national men's singles players) can replace me. They have to give their best performance this year.

"After the Asia Games in Incheon (Sept 19-Oct 4) and Commonwealth Games in Scotland (July 23-Aug 3), I still don't know whether I will continue my career in badminton. If my condition is not good, maybe I will quit in December.

"If my performance is good and I am injury-free, maybe I will continue to play. Otherwise, I want to step down this year," he told reporters after winning his 10th championship at the 2014 Malaysian Super Series Open Championship in Putra Stadium, Bukit Jalil Sunday.

Chong Wei, 31, said he was very relieved because his dream to create a record of winning the Malaysian Super Series Open Championship for the 10th time was realised.

"My wife and family know the pressure I was under to win the championship. After I won, I could feel a load off my shoulder.

"I also have a lot of personal problems but I will do my best at the Asia Games and Commonwealth Games because there are many important championships this year. I will also try to be in action until the 2016 Rio De Janeiro Olympics in Brazil, if the situation warrants it," said the badminton ace who also wants to focus on his family.

"I also have a family and often leave them for several months at a time to focus on championships...but my wife (Datin Wong Mew Choo) understands my career."

Chong Wei and Mew Choo have a son, Kinston Lee who is now nine months old.

Chong Wei started his career at 18, and among his greatest achievements was winning the silver medal at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

By Nursyabiha Sukri -- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment