The 60-year-old former international, who won the Malaysia Cup with Negri Sembilan in 2011, quit the team on Sunday after a meeting with Perak FA (Pafa) deputy president Khairul Azwan Harun.
He signed a two-year contract with Pafa when he joined the team last season. “We came to the decision to terminate the contract mutually,” said Azraai.
Azraai’s stint with the Seladang proved to be a forgettable one.
“In the Super League, Perak finished seventh out of 12 teams.
Later in the Malaysia Cup, Perak were humiliated 1-6 by Sarawak and it cost them a place in the quarter-finals. Following the defeat, Pafa called in the police and the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to investigate the team for match-fixing.
The whole team were suspended for two weeks to allow investigations to be carried out. The suspension was lifted last week after a special task force headed by Pafa disciplinary committee chairman Datuk Ismail Sapian cleared the players and officials of any wrongdoing.
With Azraai leaving, there are speculations that a player exodus is imminent. Some of the players were reported to be unhappy with Pafa for doubting their integrity and going public with the match-fixing allegations.
When asked about his future plans, Azraai was non-committal.
“I have yet to decide on my future ... I intend to take a short break. I might even take a break from football for a season.
“It’s not just about signing up with a team. The team management must be run professionally,” said Azraai.