Monday, July 15, 2013

Zolkples disappointed

PEACEMAKER: Hopes to find a solution so that talent of Farkhan is not wasted


NATIONAL Sports Council (NSC) director general Datuk Seri Zolkples Embong is determined not to let the talent of Mohd Farkhan Haron go to waste and will work towards finding a way to ensure the former Sea Games gold medallist remains a staple of the national squad for years to come.

Zolkples said he is disappointed over the fallout between Farkhan and the Malaysian Amateur Boxing Association (MABF) which led to the boxer leaving the national team.
MABF claimed it had dropped him from the national squad last week as the boxer could not give full commitment to training.

Farkhan, however, denied this and said he had quit the national team in June when the alleged lack of vision and progress by the national body in developing talent left him frustrated.

"I was quite shocked and disappointed when I first heard the news. It is not often you come across a talent like Farkhan. He is in the same class as Sapok Biki and Adnan Yusoh," said Zolkples.
"It would be a waste to lose him. I am hoping he will still be able to represent Malaysia at the Myanmar Sea Games this year as well as the Commonwealth Games (Scotland) next year."

Zolkples added that he will set up a meeting with the MABF and the relevant parties in the next two weeks to iron out the situation and, hopefully, pave the way for Farkhan to make a return to the national team.

The Johor boxer won gold at the Laos Sea Games in 2009 and took silver at the Indonesia edition two years later, both in the 75kg category.
"I have contacted Farkhan and he has said he still has the desire to represent the country," Zolkples added.

"He has been through a lot the past year, which has not been easy for him. People need to understand that.

"We will arrange a meeting with MABF to discuss the situation and help find a solution. I believe this could have been caused by miscommunication and that is an area we need to work on."
Farkhan, 25, endured a difficult period last year after he was assaulted by a group of men in Johor Baru in May which left him with a shattered jaw line. A month later, his father died due to breathing complications.

Farkhan, being his family's eldest son, took over the responsibility of managing his father's construction and frozen food businesses.

Zolkples added that he will look into the claims that there have been a lack of tournaments for national boxers over the past year.

New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment