Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Kumar To Challenge Kok Chi For OCM Secretary's Post

KUALA LUMPUR, June 11 (Bernama) -- The post of the Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) honorary secretary is expected to see a straight fight between incumbent Datuk Sieh Kok Chi and his assistant T. Kumar.

Come June 22, Kumar, the former Malaysian Taekwondo Association (MTA) secretary-general will try to unseat Kok Chi who has held on to the post for the past 21 years.

Kumar, a lawyer by profession, had said he decided to accept nomination for the post after Kok Chi had announced earlier this year that he would step down when his term expires.

"After I offered myself, I did not expect Kok Chi to declare that he wants to continue for another term (2013-2015)," he told reporters, here, Tuesday.

Kumar said he received very good response and encouragement from friends to take up the challenge while the Malaysian Karate Federation (Makaf) and Malaysian Hand Ball Federation had nominated his name for the post.

"I accepted the nomination with an open heart because I am confident of bringing changes to the OCM administration, but everything will depend on the June 22, election," he said.

Kumar said if all 35 OCM affiliates want to see winds of change sweeping through the OCM corridors, they should vote for a change.

Meanwhile, Kok Chi declared that he would defend the post that he had held since 1992.

"I have carried out my duties well and have proven it..furthermore I have focused on the job fully since retiring as a civil servant," he said.

-- BERNAMA

No comments:

Post a Comment