Tuesday, June 04, 2013

BWF postpone use of line-call review technology

KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton World Federation (BWF) said that they were delaying indefinitely the live implementation of line-call review technology to address “last-minute issues” that have cropped up in testing.

Line-calls are a flashpoint in badminton, with players often complaining about officials making erroneous or biased decisions, and the sport plans to follow tennis and football in using technology to reduce the risk of human error.

After testing their system in the Malaysian Open this year and last month’s Sudirman Cup here, the sport’s world governing body had planned to go live at next week’s Indonesia Open.

Instead, the BWF “will continue testing the line-call technology in an effort to resolve some last-minute issues which arose during the recent testing”, BWF said in a statement yesterday.
BWF secretary general Thomas Lund was quoted as saying that the testing would continue at the Indonesia event. No new date for a live roll-out was given.

But Lund said the BWF were committed to line-call review technology.
While the exact system to be used is yet to be confirmed, Lund said it would involve camera-based technology.

Britain’s Hawk-Eye system has become part of the landscape in top-level tennis, and is also well established in international cricket.

England’s Premier League has sanctioned the use of Hawk-Eye from next season, a first for a domestic football league.


THE STAR

No comments:

Post a Comment