Monday, May 20, 2013

Hat-trick for KLHC

CUP FINAL: Fight back to sink Tenaga and equal their 12 title mark

KUALA Lumpur Hockey Club (KLHC) beat Tenaga Nasional 2-1 in the TNB Cup to take their title tally to 12, with a cool third consecutive double in the Malaysia Hockey League.

Watched by more than 2,000 fans, the final did not disappoint as there was plenty of action, but Tenaga Nasional were guilty of defending in the second half and paid the price.
For the record, this was the third consecutive time that KLHC had humbled Tenaga in the TNB Cup final.

It was a super start to the finale, as Tenaga Nasional grabbed an early lead, only to see KLHC quick on the equaliser.

Amir Farid dribbled three players, then whacked the ball past goalkeeper Roslan Jamaluddin in the eighth minute to send Tenaga supporters into a frenzy.

However, the lead only lasted for 12 minutes, as KLHC scored the equaliser off their first penalty corner in the 20th minute.

Razie Rahim, instead of a direct flick, set up Syamim Yusof to tap in and take KLHC on level terms again.

The drama continued in the 24th minute, when Tenaga's Faizal Saari made a darting run when he saw an opening, only to be shoved to the ground by KLHC's Pakistan import Fareed Ahmed and a penalty stroke was awarded by umpire K. Ilanggo.

However Faizal, who has scored 17 goals in the tournament, missed the chance to take his tally to 18 and equal tournament top scorer Kashif Ali from Sapura who has 18.
After the breather, Tenaga were a jaded side, while KLHC won five more penalty corners but bungled them all.

However, their fortunes changed in the sixth penalty corner in the 64th minute, when Razie's attempt hit Madzli Ikmar's foot and the umpire blew for a penalty stroke.
Pakistan import Muhammad Imran stepped up to the spot, and flicked to the left of Tenaga goalkeeper S. Kumar for a 2-1 lead.

Tenaga Nasional never won a single penalty corner in 70 minutes, and when the final whistle blew, they went down to KLHC by a solitary goal.

In the President's Cup final, it was heartbreak for League champions UitM, as they came back to draw 2-2 with TNB Thunderbolts, after being down 0-2, to take the match into extra-time and then a penalty shoot-out.

But the day belonged to Thuderbolts, who prevailed 3-1 in the shoot-out.
RESULTS (Finals): President's Cup -- UiTM 2 TNB Thunderbolts 2 (Thunderbolts win 3-1 on shoot-out); TNB Cup -- Kuala Lumpur HC 2 Tenaga Nasional 1.

KLHC’s Chua Boon Huat (left) reaches for the ball as TNB’s Mohd Madzil Ikram Mohd Nor looks on in their TNB Cup final yesterday. Pic by Syarafiq Abd Samad

Read more: HOCKEY: Hat-trick for KLHC - Other - New Straits Times

No comments:

Post a Comment